Mental Health & Exercise Physiology
What is Mental Health?
Mental health disorder describes a wide range of disorders such as depression, anxiety, stress, schizophrenia, bipolar, asperger syndrome, down syndrome, etc. Within the Australian population 45% of people have a lifetime mental disorder.
How can exercise help?
Regular physical activity for clients with mental health conditions has been proven to:
- Improve cardiorespiratory fitness and reduce all-cause mortality risk;
- Improve psychosocial functioning (i.e. activities of daily living, social and occupational functioning);
- Manage weight gain induced by psychotropic medications;
- Improve chronic disease outcomes (especially type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease);
- Decrease symptoms of depression and anxiety; and
- Improve sleep quality and increase self-esteem.
How can Activate Health help you?
Here at Activate Health we are passionate about providing top quality Exercise Physiology to ensure all our clients receive the care and outcomes they deserve. Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are trained to provide evidence-based exercise interventions to individuals at high risk of developing, or with existing, chronic and complex medical conditions and injuries. Using exercise as a medicine our AEPs can:
- Help improve symptoms of mental health disorders, such as depression and anxiety, and improve functioning and physical health in individuals with psychotic disorders;
- Create programs that are adapted to accommodate circumstances and preferences and to minimise barriers to exercise; and
- As mental disorders increase the risk of chronic physical conditions, and tend to recur across the lifespan, exercise can be useful for both mental and physical health and may maintain well-being and prevent recurrences of poor mental health.
Talk to you Doctor today to request a Chronic Care Plan referral for bulk billed consultations here at Activate Health. We also take private bookings which can be partially covered by you private health fund. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any enquires on 07 4939 5696.
5/16 Blanchard st, Berserker
2 Braithwaite st
3/24 Hill St